Monday, June 15, 2020

REFLECTIONS: COVID-19, BIBLE, AND THEOLOGY

Smashwords – Reflections: Covid-19, Bible, and Theology – a book ...

Let me introduce to you my new book entitled, 


REFLECTIONS: COVID-19, BIBLE, AND THEOLOGY

T

HIS BOOK BEGAN AS a reaction to what people were saying on Facebook about Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the Bible, and theology. There was a disconnect in what people say about the situation and the Christian faith. Some were quick to dismiss the idea that God has anything to do with the COVID-19. Based on their belief that COVID-19 has nothing to do with God.

As a student of the Bible and a theologian, I refuse to engage in speculative interpretation not only of the Bible but more so of various circumstances in relation to the Bible. While I do not disregard and dismiss other interpretations, I also don’t want my students, some of my colleagues and my congregation to be left at the mercy of biblical and theological ideas that are either imaginative speculations - with neither explicit nor implicit support from the Scripture - or hyper spiritualized assertions.

As a Christian, I believe that COVID-19 and what is happen-ing as a consequence are not independent of who God is and what He is doing. Life is a correlation of beings or an intersect of realities happening in space and time. What life is and who God is have an effect on who we are. Hence, there is a need for reflection—an activity that brings life’s questions such as “What [it] is,” “Who God is,” and “Who we are” to the discourse of life. It is best to do such a dynamic or interactive reflection in the midst of the situation itself.

In this book are 43 reflections on the many issues touched by this pandemic concerning life and faith. Each entry is written through the Christian worldview as shaped and influenced by the Holy Scripture and takes on the sacred task of theology.

I wrote about the topics as they came to my attention in my daily life, activities, and interactions with people in the middle of the pandemic. I originally shared them with my Facebook friends, who would give me some feedback in the form of affirmations, criticisms, and suggestions. These reflections have been tried, tested, and edited for the final versions that you now have in this book.  I kept them short for further studies and deeper reflections because these are not the final thoughts on the subjects I have written here because I believe that theology as a task is an on-going and growing prayerful reflection of the Holy Scripture or a personal reflection of life’s circumstances in relation to the Holy Scripture. Further theological reflection will lead to a more mature understanding of our faith as Christians, but it will never arrive at its final conclusion. I hope that these 43 REFLECTIONS will lead you to hunger and thirst for more of the word of God and its theological insights. I hope that you would not only read these entries but may be encouraged to also do your own prayerful and personal reflections on COVID-19, the Bible, and theology as it would lead us to a deeper understanding of who we are, what is wrong in this world, what is happening right now and what is the future going to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Gospel Is Too Small

    As a Christian, a pastor and a professor, the gospel is at the heart of what I do. It defines not only the message I share to people...